Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Top 5 Reasons I Love Gigging the Baby Shower Circuit

Top 5 Reasons I Love Gigging the Baby Shower Circuit
Yesterday, I got to bring worship to another Baby Shower. What a great gig. It's got to be the best gig in the world. This was my second baby shower gig and I want to do a zillion more.


Here are my top 5 reasons I really really really love gigging the Baby Shower circuit:

Reason 5: The HOURS
When I used to play in bars, I'd work from 7 pm until 2 am, setting up, playing, tearing down, waiting to get paid. With a baby shower, it's just a few hours in the afternoon. And the crowd is friendly. They don't smell like cigarettes and beer. There's hardly ever a fight.

Reason 4: EASY Set Up
Since the music is acapella, except for my guitar, there's no PA to haul around, load or set up. The set up and tear down are simple. Which means you get to enjoy yourself at the gig. No squeeling feedback to worry about. No power cords to untangle. No amplifiers to lift over your head. Easy.

Reason 3: The FOOD
The food at a baby shower is fantastic. When women cook for women, especially when women cook for pregnant women, the results are incredible. Each bite is oohed and ahhed over. Each cut veggie stick is praised for its healthfulness. And the prize winning Chocolate cake, first place at the Clarke County Fair, gets a special place of honor.

Reason 2: The MUSIC
The women, the girls, and the babies that show up for a baby shower are the best audience and the best performers you could ever hope to find. Each singer knows what to sing and when to sing it. Nobody is too shy. Nobody is too much of a show-off. We sing, laugh, cry, close our eyes and let the music come out. From the heart to God's ears. Sweet and honest. Awesome.

Reason 1: I'm NOT PREGNANT
When I stand next to a pregnant woman, I look and feel thinner. I can enjoy myself because the baby thing is in my long past. I know I can sleep late on weekends. Nobody follows me into the bathroom now. It's nice to cuddle a little baby. And it's nice to give him back to his mommy.

So thanks to you, wonderful women of Emmaus Church, for letting me bring worship to both of your baby showers. And thanks to you, babies Dominic and Hope, for joining our group and giving us a reason to celebrate. And most of all, thank you Lord Jesus, for always being willing to show up and party.

No comments: